Thursday 14 April 2011

Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh & The Gurudom-Sants

By Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh
In Guru Kanshi Patar, June 1939



Some days ago, over a hundred or so “Sant Mahatamas” who were in to “Gurdom” came to meet me. Akhand Paath Sahib was going on. They wanted to come and bring me outside from the smagam and said, “we want to ask you some things.”

I replied, “you too should listen to the Akhand Paath Sahib. You cannot hear anything higher or better from a simple human being than you will by listening to the voice of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.”

They then said, “No, we want to listen to words from your holy voice.” I then said, “only by attaching our voice to the voice of Sri Guru Granth Sahib does a voice become holy. Here! If you must make my voice “holy” then I will start doing paath and I will join my voice with the paaras voice (of Guru Sahib).”

They kept pressuring me to leave the Akhand Paath Sahib area and come out to hear what they had to say and also speak to them. Eventually, they forced me to come outside the Akhand Paath Sahib mandal.

I had them sit in the next room and said, “hukam karo…” (give your orders…).

One Sant from amongst them then addressed me and said, “Sachay Patshah! It is only this Daas’s benti. What hukam can we give you?”

When the Sant said this unprincipled thing, I immediately scolded him and said that he had committed a very serious mistake that he had called me a simple human being “Sachay Patshah”. I said, “may MY ears burn and YOUR voice burn! Truly this is the punishment I have been given for having left the room where Akhand Paath Sahib Darbar of Sachahay Patshah Sri Guru Granth Sahib was going on.”

I said this and the entire group [of Sants] got upset and left. They did not listen to the Akhand Paath Sahib or benefit from the Akhand Kirtan which followed. Had I replied to them in a polite and flowery way and addressed them the same way they had addressed me, then they would have been very happy. But whose happiness did I want? Guru Sahib’s or from those who go against Guru Sahib’s principles, and wanted to take me away from my position as Sikh and have me try to foolishly equal the position of the Guru?

No comments:

Post a Comment